-Hearing the crowd (10s of thousands) in St. Peters Square thundering their roars as the Pope gave his Sunday audience in five languages.
-Walking up the stairs and out to the Dome high, high above St. Peters Altar and as we stepped out a boy choir was singing their part of the Mass and it resounded around us in total surround sound. The rotunda was electric with music even though hundreds of feet from the ground and the choir. My eyes immediately filled with tears. It was my most special moment so far...
-The bells of St. Peters chiming-no ringing 6pm-on and on and on. Wow!
-Seeing the sunset change the building of the skyline of Rome to a warm raw and burnt sienna. The day was perfect. And then, on the way down, as the cupola closed, catching the domes in silhouette and sunset. Perfecto.
-A wonderful light dinner at Osterio Pinto Sisto - a table on the sidewalk, a wonderful, very fun waiter, and a rigatoni pasta with ox-tail. It was phenomenal. Then a selection of cheeses and the vino rosso de la casa...followed by moscato and grappa.
-And then my second gelato at a tiny hole in the wall-Gelato della Scala-and WOW! Creme and Berries mixed half and half. Oh MY!!!
Things We Have Learned In Rome:
- When you clink your wine glasses for a toast, you look the person or persons in the eye.
- When you meet someone, you greet them with a quick kiss to each cheek. Left is first.
- Italians don't even think about dinner until 9pm at the earliest.
- Cheese and honey is perfecto. (Formaggio and miele)
- Italian wines can taste great-not just good.
- Crepes and Nutella with nuts are regular fare here.
- If you want your cappuccino hot-you must say scaldare.
- Traffic lights are a suggestion.
- The people are warm and friendly and very helpful.
- It is a must to know a few important Italian words/phrases. servito, Il Conto per favore, grazie, vino rosso de la casa, carne, pesce, boungiorno, ciao, buona sera, mi scuzi, quanto, quanti, cinque, and remember that the next to last syllable is almost always emphasized.
- Guys frown on guys wearing caps.
- It is bad form to take away food from a nice restaurant.
For my favorite 16 out of 276 photos from today, Go HERE.
Tomorrow morning early, the Eurostar to Florence.